We Need the Support of Your Business!
Farming in Maine is growing and poised to grow more, but only if we take the right steps now.
Farming faces a major demographic challenge. The ownership of as much as one-third of Maine’s most productive farmland (about 400,000 acres) will change hands in the next ten years, simply due to the age of the land owners. Much of this land is at risk of being lost to farming.
Yet if farmland is protected with an agricultural easement, it then sells at its value as farmland, not house lots—making it more affordable. So protecting more farmland allows more young farmers to enter the business and helps existing farmers expand operations or secure land that they currently lease.
But MFT’s programs go way beyond farmland protection. We also support farmers with a range of other services, including business planning, market development, and access to financing. It’s all designed to keep working farms working—feeding us and feeding our economy.
MFT’s goal is to support a thousand farmers and protect 100,000 acres of farmland by 2015. That’s the scale needed if we are to make a meaningful impact.
We can’t do it without your help. Become a Business Supporter today, and help us secure a future for farming in Maine.
Business Supporter Benefits:
• Free Web Listing on our website, www.mainefarmlandtrust.org, with link to your site. Your business will be listed with other MFT Business Supporters
- Two free MFT memberships for persons of your choosing. (Members have voting rights and free admission to fun and informative events, including MFT’s Annual Celebration)
- 50% discount on MFT memberships for any employee
- Window decal for your business indicating your support for MFT
- Free subscription to our monthly e-Newsletter and semi-annual paper newsletter
- Satisfaction of helping to support farming in Maine