There are many different ways to get a handle on how much farming is going on in your town. Some ideas include:
- Visit your local farmers market and talk with the farmers from your community.
- Check local assessor records for properties enrolled in the farmland current use tax program.
- Look at Google Earth satellite imagery to see all the fields and pastures in your town.
- Windshield survey – look for roadside farm stands, freshly plowed soils, or new fencing for livestock.
- Invite your Soil and Water District Conservationist to talk with your local boards and committees about farming in your area.
- Send out a survey tailored to your community needs – either to known farmers or more broadly distributed – to find out about local farming activities and future plans for farmland.
SIGN UP FOR ACTION ALERTS
Join the MFT Policy List to receive updates about our policy work and action alerts about how you can help shape food and agriculture policy: