Farmland Access Loan Program
The Farmland Access Loan Program uniquely combines business planning assistance with the opportunity to obtain financing from MFT to buy a farm.
Loans are available to all farmers, though we give priority to beginning farmers of limited means. We offer two types of loans: Down Payment Loans for some or all of the down payment needed to secure a loan from a commercial bank, Farm Credit or Farm Service Agency; and Principal Loans, in which MFT provides a first-position loan to help a borrower purchase farm property.
MFT also provides FREE business planning services for applicants. We believe that the business assistance we offer through this program may prove as valuable as the loans.
To apply, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Plan to purchase Maine farmland and actively farm it.
- Intend to occupy and operate the proposed farm yourself.
- Have an average credit score of at least 650.
- Have a written, investment-grade business plan. (MFT will provide the services to help you develop such a plan, if you have not already done so.)
Interested? Contact Us
We encourage you to contact us as soon as you think you might be interested in either a Down Payment Loan or a Principal Loan, well in advance of needing funding. That way, we can work with you to develop a compelling farm business plan, an essential part of preparing to start a farm. Contact Erica Buswell.