There are many different ways to get a handle on how much farming is going on in your town. Some ideas include:
- Visit your local farmers market and talk with the farmers from your community.
- Check local assessor records for properties enrolled in the farmland current use tax program.
- Look at Google Earth satellite imagery to see all the fields and pastures in your town.
- Windshield survey – look for roadside farm stands, freshly plowed soils, or new fencing for livestock.
- Invite your Soil and Water District Conservationist to talk with your local boards and committees about farming in your area.
- Send out a survey tailored to your community needs – either to known farmers or more broadly distributed – to find out about local farming activities and future plans for farmland.