Mark your calendar for Saturday, October 14 (rain date Oct. 15). Midcoast Conservancy’s Hidden Valley Nature Center in Jefferson is hosting and MFT is co-sponsoring a full day of information and fun in the woods.
A few of the highlights include:
- Learn by listening and talking to state experts on low-impact forestry, improving the ability of forest practices to sequester carbon and enhance wildlife habitat, the benefits of conservation easements, land trust experience with forestry, and more.
- Learn by seeing, doing and walking with pros. There will be guided walks and talks; demonstrations of logging with horses, small scale equipment, and a small European cut to length processor; workshops on trail making and tree pruning, dealing with invasive plants and bugs; exhibits and more.
- Learn by having fun. There will be several university woodsmen team competitions, guided walks for kids with readings in the woods by Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, a Project Learning Tree tent full of fun activities for teachers and kids and more.
- Exercise with a “Tour De Woods” fat bike ride.
- Stomp your feet, dance, or just listen to The Gawler family performing new and old logging songs.
Food and beverages for purchase, including beer from several Maine breweries.
For more information and to register: www.midcoastconservancy.org/events/forestry-event/