Workshops & Technical Assistance
FARMING FOR WHOLESALE
Farming for Wholesale offers ongoing farm business planning assistance combined with day-long workshops for farmers.
Choose from one of two “tracks”, depending on your experience level and farm business goals:
FARMING FOR WHOLESALE 101
This track is for experienced farmers who want to start or expand into wholesale markets.
Participating farmers will join business and farming experts from around the state to examine wholesaling from many different angles. During the workshops, you’ll have a chance to:
- Use last year’s actual records to find your most (& least) profitable crops.
- Learn how to keep and read financial records so that they are useful to you.
- Create and evaluate different financial scenarios for your farm business.
- Meet some of the wholesale buyers in the state.
- Make contact with potential distribution networks.
In addition, farms will receive technical assistance tailored to your farm.
When: Saturdays, 9 am – 4 pm, January 2018
Cost: $500. Upon completion of all sessions and your successful participation in technical assistance, farms will be awarded $1,000 in seed money. There is a net gain of $500 to your farm! Scholarships are available: please contact us for details: email@example.com
Registration for the 2018 program will open November 1st.
Stay tuned for more details! Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FARMING FOR WHOLESALE 201
This track is for experienced farmers who currently serve wholesale accounts and want to increase wholesale operations. This track will be limited to 2-4 farms.
If selected, you will work with an experienced team of business, production, and marketing advisors over 12-24 months to:
- Deepen your understanding of your farm’s production costs and financial records.
- Evaluate possible scenarios for growing your business.
- Write a business plan based on your most preferable scenario.
- Pitch your business plan to a group of some of Maine’s prominent farm investors.
Upon completion of the 201 track, you will be eligible to apply for a grant of up to $50,000 from Maine Farmland Trust to implement your business plan.
Farms enrolled in the 201 track are welcome, but not required, to attend the workshops offered in the 101 series.
Farming for Wholesale 201 is a highly-selective, competitive application course.
Applications for the 2018 program will open November 1st. Please contact Alex: email@example.com with any questions.
HERE’S WHAT FARMERS SAY ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
“I’ve put my time with Wholesale 101 on my list of the top ten things I’ve done to ensure Eldertide & Maine Medicinals’ success.”
-Edie Johnston, Eldertide Farm & Maine Medicinals
“Having you vet and correct my spreadsheets while providing additional thoughts as to which areas of my business I should be concerned with made all the difference to my bottom line this year. We made more income than ever, largely due to this workshop.”
–Chris Cavendish, Fishbowl Farm