The leaves are turning and the light is shifting--sure signs of the season. As we…
What do you get for the people on your list who love Maine farms and food? We’ve added to our list from last year to give you a few ideas to fill your holiday season with local goodness.
- A CSA share: the gift that keeps on giving all season long. Click here for a list of CSAs near you.
- A canner, or other kitchen gadget that will help preserve food—so your loved one can enjoy Maine’s bounty year round. Here’s an overview of the products out there.
- Something to snuggle away the cold winter nights: A Real Maine blanket or maybe a cozy sheepskin or wool from your local fiber farmer.
- Find farm-centric art, hats, t-shirts, children’s books, and holiday cards made by local artists in our gallery (97 Main Street in Belfast), or in our online store.
- Banked time: Because sometimes gardening, food prep, or putting up a greenhouse requires more than two hands. Write out a gift certificate to wrap up, and throw in a sprig of thyme for fun.
- Give good food! A jar of really good farm-made eggnog, a gift certificate to spend at the local butcher shop, a tin of Maine-grown herbal tea… in our experience, food gifts are always appreciated.
- Looking for something to ship? Many of Maine’s food and farm products last a long time, including jam, maple syrup, beeswax candles, and even seaweed (the last two are even carry-on friendly!).
- Finally, MFT (and other farm-focused organizations) offer gift memberships. Give someone the knowledge that they have a hand in growing the future of farming. We’ll send them a copy of our beautiful Maine Farms journal, too!
Most importantly, take time to enjoy this time with family and friends, and make lots of delicious (and local) food during the holidays. Be sure to stock up on all manner of veggies, dairy, meats, etc at your local winter farmers market or local grocer, and give thanks for local bounty, even in the midst of Maine winter!