In the last of our series diving into our top 2023 Farm Bill priorities, we…
Action Alert: Urge Congress to Invest in Climate-Friendly Agriculture
As the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 moves through Congress, MFT is proud to join over 130 groups across the country in strong support of the unprecedented investments in climate-friendly agriculture, Farm Bill conservation programs, and conservation technical assistance currently included in the bill. Although the bill is not perfect, if passed this would be a monumental investment in climate-resilient agriculture. Please join us in urging Congress to support this bill!
Will you call your members of Congress today to urge them to support this major climate legislation?
Start by contacting your members of Congress:
- Representative Chellie Pingree (1st District) – (202) 225-6116
- Representative Jared Golden (2nd District) – (202) 225-6306
- Senator Susan Collins – (202) 224-2523
- Senator Angus King – (202) 224-5344
Sample call script:
“Hello, my name is ____ and I’m a ____ [farmer, parent, constituent, etc.] in ____ [your town]. I’m calling to ask you to vote in support of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. This bill makes a monumental, overdue investment in addressing the climate crisis. I’m especially excited about this bill because ___________
[Share more about which pieces of this bill are important to you. For example:
- It invests in climate-resilient farming practices and working lands conservation programs:
- $3.25 billion for the Conservation Stewardship Program;
- $8.45 billion for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program;
- $1.4 billion for the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program; and,
- $6.75 billion for the Regional Conservation Partnership Program.
- It supports critical technical assistance for farmers: $1 billion for USDA Natural Resource Conservation Program’s Conservation Technical Assistance Program
- It expands support for alternative energy on farms: over $2 billion for the Rural Energy for America Program]
Sign up for our policy alert newsletter here to receive future updates about ways you can take action to support Maine farms!